Wednesday 29 August 2007

Pride & Prejudice - is Colin Firth's the best version?

In recent days I have watched three different versions of Pride and Prejudice.

The Keira Knightley film version, the Colin Firth 1990s BBC version and the David Rintoul 1980 BBC version.

I still believe that of the three the latter is the best as it is more faithful to the book and is produced in a 'stage' like manner rather than as a sweeping production of the later two versions. David Rintoul is great as Darcy - everyone's idea of the character, I should imagine, tall, dark, handsome and snooty! Lizzie is fun and independent but not too over the top (remembering how young ladies were expected to behave in the early 19th century - after all that is why there is horror at the antics of Lydia - and even Mrs Bennett). Unfortunately, for anyone in the UK wanting to see this version you either have to buy a VHS or a Region 1 DVD as the BBC have not re-issued it here. Amazon can help though: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/026-7799276-4466057?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pride+and+prejudice+david+rintoul&Go.x=8&Go.y=12

However, I must admit I love the Colin Firth version - it's very witty, fun and you get a true idea of what the period was like (even if there are some scenes that probably would have had even Jane Austen turning missish!). The chemistry between Darcy and Lizzie is brilliant, you wonder how on earth Mr Bennett has gone through life without committing murder and you just hope that Wickham doesn't live to regret his marriage ... after all is £10,000 really sufficient to spend your life with Lydia?

As for the Keira Knightley version. Well what can I say! I saw it at the cinema when it was first released and was disappointed with it then - it was OK if, as I said to a lady who stopped me as I was leaving the cinema, you weren't looking for Jane Austen. Now having seen it so close to the other two versions I have to say it is truly dire. There is little or no wit or humour, I really could not care less if Lydia was saved or if, Heaven forbid, Lady Catherine managed to prevent Darcy and Lizzie marrying. And as for the US 'alternative' ending with D & L gazing at each other in the moonlight on a lake ... pleeease!!

It just goes to show that you can throw as much money as you like at the production, pick the most 'beautiful'people, but if the acting is not up to scratch and/or the script is weak then the film is unlikely to be a success. It probably would have been better if the film had been said to have been inspired by Pride and Prejudice and given a different name.

2 comments:

Kaye Dacus said...

I can't believe someone finally agrees with me about David Rintoul's being the best Mr. Darcy!

I, too, think that as a whole, the 1995 version is far superior in production value, acting, costumes, etc., than the 1980 version, but David Rintoul will always hold first-place in my heart as Mr. Darcy!

I compared the three versions on my blog a few weeks ago: http://kayedacus.com/2008/02/08/fun-friday-pride-prejudice-part-1/

Rock said...

Plumber Wollstonecraft
wefrasgvjrefjbkfjbkl
Plumber Wollstonecraft